DARPA’s Biological Technologies Office is seeking innovative proposals to determine whether bio-behavioral signatures (eg combinations of neural signals, physiological signals, and/or communication patterns) of team performance exist and are generalizable across DoD teams.
Proposal abstracts are due 1 December 2023, with full proposals due 31 January 2024.
OP TEMPO will explore whether bio-behavioral signals can be used as valid, objective signatures of team performance. OP TEMPO focuses directly on the fundamental research necessary to identify bio-behavioral signatures associated with team cohesion, collaboration, and performance. As such, OP TEMPO will develop the foundation for novel approaches to understand, model, and assess team dynamics during training.
The envisioned approach will involve combining individual biological or behavioral signals into multimodal bio-behavioral signatures of team performance capable of facilitating future strategies to understand, model, and assess team dynamics during training.
A successful proposal will clearly address four research tasks:
- identification of candidate bio-behavioral signatures of DoD team coordination dynamics
- characterization of candidate bio-behavioral signatures of DoD team coordination dynamics
- validation of these signatures using predictive models of team training performance
- exploration of signature generalizability within two additional DoD use cases.
Specifically excluded are proposals that involve:
- Identification and detection of molecular biomarkers
- Approaches that use invasive or surgically implanted sensors
- Approaches that include animal research
- Approaches that cannot be reasonably conducted on-site at military training locations (eg use of fMRI systems)
- Approaches that solely focus on performer-proposed lab-based tasks, rather than DARPA-specified use cases and data collection environments
- Approaches that involve human-machine teaming
- Approaches that focus extensively on individual-level performance and cannot be translated/adapted to team-level performance
- Approaches that only incrementally improve upon the current state-of-art in teaming optimization and physiological and/or behavior signatures of team performance
Broad Agency Announcement – OP TEMPO : HR001124S0006
(note: the incorrect BAA reference number has been used within the document itself as advised by DARPA)