ONR is seeking white papers and proposals in support of advancing hierarchical command and control of unmanned systems (UxSs) for future naval applications. Work under this program will consist of basic and applied research with the overall S&T effort conducted at TRLs 1 – 5.
This topic call-out falls under Long Range BAA N00014-23-S-B0001 and encompasses the following ONR technology areas:
- command and decision making
- command and control
- expeditionary robots, autonomic and autonomy
- human interaction with autonomous systems
- science of autonomy
- tactical AI for Marine Corps
Key issues to be addressed
- what autonomy is required to support command and control of UxSs?
- How should the management of autonomous systems be integrated into the existing military command and control structure?
- What relationships and information will be need, expected and/or required between individuals in the human command and control hierarchy and UxSs?
- What autonomy capabilities will be required to manage dynamic tasking of UxSs in support of military missions engaged in across the Naval enterprise?
– White papers due 1 December 2022; full proposals due 27 January 2023