HRRP Supports promising research that will accelerate drug discovery and therapeutic development for hearing restoration or accelerate advances in the assessment, diagnostics, and treatment of auditory dysfunction. Tinnitus or vestibular-related research is excluded.
Funding level 1 – up to USD$250,000 over 2 years – exploratory, high-risk/high-reward research that is in the earliest stages of idea development
Funding level 2 – up to USD$1M over 3 years – advancement of more mature research toward clinical translation
Funding level 3 – up to USD$1.25M over 3 years – research with a translational research component and a related pilot clinical trial component
Current HRRP Focus Areas
- Accelerate translation of biological regeneration/repair mechanisms into therapies that treat auditory system injury and restore auditory function. For example, but not limited to:
- Hair cell regeneration/repair/recovery
- Neural regeneration/repair/recovery
- Treatment for synaptopathy and hidden hearing loss
- Diagnostic tests that help differentiate sensory, neural, synaptic, and central processing disorders, that may inform applicability and outcomes for current or future hearing restoration therapeutics.
- Develop reliable in-vitro human models to facilitate the understanding, derivation, and characterization of human auditory cells, and/or to facilitate the evaluation of hearing restoration therapies.
- Develop and/or validate techniques/methods beyond the audiogram to diagnose acute auditory system injury in austere or remote environments. For example, but not limited to, simple and rapid assessments that are compatible with portable platforms.
– pre-applications close 22 July 2022