DARPA seeks to explore the ethical, legal, and societal implications (ELSI) of emerging technologies. To understand the state of the art, DARPA is seeking input from experts who study the effective integration of ELSI considerations within disruptive, multi-disciplinary technology development and transition.
DARPA is specifically interested in current research ideas across technical areas that address the following ELSI topic areas:
- Broad, comprehensive risk frameworks for effective ELSI evaluation of disruptive technologies.
- Operationalized processes/methods for developing technology that performs in line with ethical
and legal standards.
- Practical definitions of responsible oversight and equitable access for emerging technologies.
- Current ELSI paradigms and considerations that may need to be adapted or reconsidered due to
- Portability of existing ELSI processes/frameworks to new technical areas and at different
- Additional ELSI considerations for military-focused technology with civilian applications or use
by non-U.S. populations.
- Equitable sharing of benefits and burdens for developing technologies.
- Initial ELSI groundwork for fast-paced emerging technology development that the broader
research community can incorporate.
Submissions due 9 June 2023.
DARPA ELSI of Emerging Technologies RFI: DARPA-SN-23-68